Updates for April 2016

April 2016

Week 1

Both Evan and I are helping to recruit the next team of undergraduate researchers. However, I’m falling behind with my CRA-W updates.

Week 2

Almost there! Classes going well, getting ready to graduate.

Finals week is approching very fast !!

Advisor said the presentation went well, and that our dropped particle visualization served as motivation for a related scientific discussion.

I am getting ready for the final quarterly progress report. We have figured out the rendering issue.

Updates for March 2016

March 2016

Week 1

Midterm month… Still debugging.

Week 2

Our poster was accepted to the Tapia conference! I am looking forward to the conference.

We met with Jon Komperda and his advisor, along with ours, and demoed the particle visualization. The dropped particles drew a lot of interest. They asked us to double check against the raw datafile and make sure it is not e rendering artifact. We checked, and it wasn’t! There are definitely dropped particles in the simulation. Very excited.

Week 3

Took some more pictures, and advisor says she is going to use one of them in a presentation for a senior scientific meeting in Germany.

Tim found a volume rendering demo under CAVE2, and we are trying to figure out what is different in our implementation.

Week 4

Working hard on coursework. Advisor asked us to document the rendering component of the program. Both Josh and Peter (our fellow research undergraduates) have graduated early and doing well.

Updates for February 2016

February 2016

Week 1

Claudio Silva from NYU came to visit EVL.

We met with the advisor and with our project graduate mentor, Tim Luciani, who is an NSF Graduate Fellow. Tim started on research just like us, as an undergraduate! The dataset looks interesting — it’s a mixture of two gases, one flowing left to right, and the other right to left. They meet in the middle and mix.

Week 2

We are working with Tim on the new dataset. We talked at length about volume rendering and how to use it in the CAVE2 environment.

We are also experimenting with adding more variables to the first dataset visualization. For now, we’ve added a second copy of the dataset, color mapped to an additional variable.

Week 3

Managed to load the new dataset into the CAVE2 environment. It looks interesting! However, once we stepped inside the data, it disappeared. Tim is baffled too.

Week 4

Debugging takes forever. We think it’s a problem within the rendering library.

Meanwhile, we’re scheduling a demo for the other dataset with our combustion expert.

I have also finalized the poster on our project, and we have successfully submitted it to  ACM Richard Tapia Celebration of Diversity in Computing  conference. The fellowship application also went in.conference. The goal of this conference is “is to bring together undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, researchers, and professionals in computing from all backgrounds.” It works very closely with students with diverse back grounds and helps to promote diversity in the field of computer science. It will be held in Austin, Texas on September 14-17, 2016. I am looking forward to it !!

I have attached the poster description we have submitted below. I hope you will find it interesting to read.

VisualEncodingsforImmersiveVisualizationofTurbulentCombustionData

Updates for January 2016

January 2016

Week 1

Gone on winter break

Week 2

School starts soon — getting ready for my last semester.

Week 3

First week of classes. Prof. Marai asked each of us for a semester research plan. My goal is to graduate on time in May 2016, to continue working on my research, and to get a job.

Week 4

I met with my advisor to discuss the research plan. I will continue working with the combustion data in the virtual reality environment. We are working with a different dataset, however, and experimenting with volume rendering.

I am preparing a poster draft for the Tapia conference. I am furthermore applying for a Tapia fellowship — it would help with the conference travel.